Sunday, November 23, 2008

S.K.I.L.L.S.

S.K.I.L.L.S. is an acronym for a very long six word mission statement of the school. Boiled down, the school wants to create good communicators, dependable workers and responsible citizens. I teach ESL 2 where the words of the S.K.I.L.L.S. bookmark go beyond the comprehension of the beginning-high English student.

So, I made up a S.K.I.L.L.S. bulletin board (TM), using symbols to convey and teach S.K.I.L.L.S. to my students:

A pair of red lips over which is the word "talk"
A hammer and the word "work"
Two hands shaking above the words, "do the right thing"

My students understand the value of lifelong learning. They come four nights a week, most after working all day, sacrificing family and relaxation time, in order to learn English, better themselves and their lives. Kudos to these brave and diligent students who work for the goals of S.K.I.L.L.S.

No comments: